Thursday, October 1, 2009

What can we do?

As you may know from reading my blog, I am currently working on a portrait project involving those who have lost loved ones to suicide, or "suicide survivors". Along with the distinction as "The Last Best Place", Montana also has the distinction of consistently having one of the highest rates of suicide in the country. As I interview people for my project and consider the great loss of lives to suicide, I wonder if there is anything that the rest of us can do. You hear some say look for this sign or that, but in reality, the "signs" may not be recognizable. What do you think? Is there anything we can do? What's the best way to go about making it known that help is available and that there can be a future beyond the dire circumstances in which people find themselves when they decide to take their lives? No one really likes talking about suicide. It's a yucky word full of dread and despair. It makes us uncomfortable. We cannot let the stigma attached to those with mental illness and to suicide in general prevent us from making an effort to save lives. Please respond and let me know what you think. Thanks!

No comments: