Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A New Year...A New Project!

So...it has been quite a long time since my last blog post. That was partially on purpose. I wanted to give everyone who attended the exhibit for my Suicide in Montana project an opportunity to hear all of the audio clips from the suicide survivors in the project (they start below this post). Since I feel it's been plenty of time, I hope to get back to regular updates on my work.

My current project is focused around the idea of "Americana" and many of the unique things about American culture in general. The project is pretty widely defined right now but I know the idea will narrow as I continue to work. I feel like the project itself will be largely defined by what I come across as I'm out photographing. I have some trips planned in the coming weeks that I think will add a lot to the body of work.

As I'm out looking around for things that feel "uniquely American" to me, I have found that so far I have been attracted to things that have a nostalgic feel to them as well as the colors red, white, and blue. I'm also interested in ways that people express their patriotism. I don't anticipate that every image that makes the final cut will include a flag or patriotic colors, but here are a few things I've come across so far - I'm sure it's just the tip of the iceberg! I'd love to hear what you think and thanks for stopping by!


All images photographed with a Bronica SQ-A medium format camera.
(Copyright Leslie McDaniel 2010)

No comments: